HWBOT Community Forums

Country CUP - 10th Anniversary design thread:

Leeghoofd

am cross reading the thread on is OCing dead thread which is interesting and then looking at this country cup.

The last few months i have spent collecting hardware 1156, 1155, 1150 that to add to my 1151 v1 1151v2, 2011-v3, 2066. Today I bought an AMD 5700XT so I atleast could have a decent score in the pro section just closing as there is so much locking between AMD and Nvidia GPU's in stages. To get hardware for me means ordering from abroad normally china.

among those 1156, 1155,1150 i have now around 25 odd CPU's that i have not even started playing with yet. If i kept all hardware i had since i got introduced to computers in 1980 i could have had all the old legacy but simply dont. Meanwhile to go back in time makes it more complicated with the operating systems. Hmm i cant even find a Ps/2 keyboard around here.

If I then look at the amount of Swedes taking part in any OC its probably only Rauf more or less active besides me and am not sure he will take part in a country cup. Meanwhile there could probably be some newcomers/oc-gamers that could join in if there were more opportunities in the newer hardware areas. 

Then I look at the below country cup list and see that I cant take part in more than half of the overall country cup stages  while having 7 different platforms and anything from 2- 14 Cores. I think that is a bit of a challenge when we then discuss the level of participation. I would probably propose to have a country cup more focused on the Win 7, win 10 platforms and then have a proper legacy cup.

I do very much appreciate what the team is spending in time and effort putting these competitions together and it has helped me learn a lot about my hardware as well as software in optimizations.

Pifast:  LGA1366 -  Bloomfield core (Xeons allowed) (4 scores)        
Wprime 1024:   AMD Deneb - (4 scores)
Superpi 32M  LGA775  - 7x multiplier - (4 scores)
HWBOT X265 1080P  AMD 1-3-4-5 cores - (4 scores)

BCLCK INTEL per socket (socket 1151V2 = V3) - (4 scores)
CB R15 CPU (Single core test) - (AMD only) (4 scores)
Y-cruncher 1B - per socket (4 scores)
 3DMark06: AGP/PCI/PCIe & Hybrid GPUs - (4 scores)
3DMark03: Intel Integrated graphics - Sandy/Ivy/Haswell/Skylake/Kabylake & Coffeelake CPUs - (4 scores)
3DMark 11 Performance - SLI or Crossfire - AMD FX Bulldozer/Vishera CPUs - (4 scores)
CATZILLA 576P AMD GPUs  & AM3/4 CPUs --> win7 only - (4 scores)

Cloud Gate  GTX 470/570/670/770/970/1070 GPUs only - (6 scores)
3DMark Skydiver - (4 scores)
3DMark Firestrike Ultra - Dual GPU cards only - (4 scores)

29 minutes ago, Matsglobetrotter said:

If I then look at the amount of Swedes taking part in any OC its probably only Rauf more or less active besides me and am not sure he will take part in a country cup. Meanwhile there could probably be some newcomers/oc-gamers that could join in if there were more opportunities in the newer hardware areas.

Go to dreamhack winter and round up some kids there ;)

Having hardware for 7 stages is pretty good.  Group competitions will never be something you can solo, and while some people only use modern hardware others have a strong interest in legacy stuff.  If everyone feels left out of certain stages, that's a sign the competition caters for everyone.

7 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

For the igp stage I'm still not sure why 5775c is not allowed while 6770hq is allowed but if that's the limitations I'm fine with it.

You do truely struggle to not complain about everything hey

Pretty sure it’s been clear why, just suck it up an move on. 

my body is ready Alby, lets break some shit 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KaRtA said:

You do truely struggle to not complain about everything hey

Pretty sure it’s been clear why, just suck it up an move on. 

my body is ready Alby, lets break some shit 

You really don't get what I'm saying, broadwell is banned because it's rare and performs better than other desktop cpus. However mobile Intel igps that perform better than broadwell are just fine to use. So a valid lineup is 9900k, 6770hq, 4980hq, 7700k is a perfectly valid lineup. It's not like banning broadwell is making it any less reliant on less common igps. I have no problem banning broadwell but if the intent is to avoid hunting rare igps then mobile socket should probably be banned too. 

8 hours ago, Matsglobetrotter said:

It depends on how patriotic you are but changing the country setting on HWBot for the duration of the competition is allowed. That way you could compete fully instead of trying to solo this thing.

2 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

You really don't get what I'm saying, broadwell is banned because it's rare and performs better than other desktop cpus. However mobile Intel igps that perform better than broadwell are just fine to use. So a valid lineup is 9900k, 6770hq, 4980hq, 7700k is a perfectly valid lineup. It's not like banning broadwell is making it any less reliant on less common igps. I have no problem banning broadwell but if the intent is to avoid hunting rare igps then mobile socket should probably be banned too. 

You don't get what anyone is saying or said. Just ask the simple question, "mobile chips allowed or only desktop" and leave it at that. All you do is look like a know all that causes more friction than solves the question.

I have a simple question @Leeghoofd, is 775 and 771 going to be treated as the same socket like 1151v1/2? or can 771 be run on 775 board like last year? Love your work mate, going to be an interesting one.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mickulty said:

Having hardware for 7 stages is pretty good.  Group competitions will never be something you can solo, and while some people only use modern hardware others have a strong interest in legacy stuff.  If everyone feels left out of certain stages, that's a sign the competition caters for everyone.

Think so far all group/team stages i have been part of have been ok and generated interest in the Team even looking among members to see if they could join a stage as they had a complement in hardware. I do though think the Country cup need to be wider on newer hardware to get the right appeal.  

• Confused 1

1 of the main reasons why alby had the dummy spit, this yosarianilives dope never stops whinging about something, he got pulled up big time in the teams cup for him and another guy on the same hardware, same room , same everything then tried to defend it, then he comes up on albys thread and says sorry he may have been the cause of albys spit, lol, always wants to challenge everything, just get on with it mate, and if you wanna bench then bench whats given, or better still, shut up and watch

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KaRtA said:

You don't get what anyone is saying or said. Just ask the simple question, "mobile chips allowed or only desktop" and leave it at that. All you do is look like a know all that causes more friction than solves the question.

I have a simple question @Leeghoofd, is 775 and 771 going to be treated as the same socket like 1151v1/2? or can 771 be run on 775 board like last year? Love your work mate, going to be an interesting one.

I would hope that for the Superpi Stage 771 chips would be fine, but for the BCLK stage the board matters - so either ignore 771 or find a strong 771 board...

Guest acidsys

In the 3dm11,catzilla and Sky Diver stage's.Is the graphics card limitation per gen [2080,108,980 etc]or just individual cards [1080TI ,1080,1070ti 1070 etc]

• Crew

For 3DM11 up to two single core cards (no brand/model limitation), no gen limitation, only CPU must be AMD AM3+ (read not AM3)

CATZILLA is AMD only, so one AMD single core GPU combined with an AM3/AM3+ and AM4 CPU. Watch out  WINDOWS7 only subs!!

SKYDIVER (GPU score), one single core card (no brand/model/Gen limitation), maximum CPU freq of 5003Mhz

CLOUDGATE: one single core nVIDIA card (model limitation) but  nVIDIA GTX x70 versions only (no Ti version)

FIRESTRIKE ULTRA: one DUAL core videocard  (no brand/model/gen limitation),

I hope this is clear(er) now,

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Crew
15 hours ago, KaRtA said:

yep we will allow both 771(with adapter)/775 for the PI stage and for the Bclock stage indeed it is the mobo socket that counts

Updated the OP

teaser.jpg

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Crew
2 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

For the igp stage is hades canyon allowed? I noticed that in the db Vega M GL and GH are both still listed as integrated, and the cpu used is kabylake so unless they were explicitly denied they would be allowed.

Nope moved them to PCIe 3.0(CPU)

50 minutes ago, zeropluszero said:

and 06 stage is still max 4 cpu cores?

yep 4 cores....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, superpatodonaldo said:

noticed just now: photo rig is NOT mandatory? ?

I don't know if this is intentional or an oversight but previous competitions have had some stupid petty arguments over the validity of rig photos.  Bit pointless to have to deal with people complaining that one person has in good faith posted a photo from the same session but technically at a moment with a different CPU under the pot (and this happens to be revealed by a cpu-z window on the screen), but if someone was actually faking a photo for some bad faith reason it would be very easy to fake.

It's nice to take and post photos but probably not much use to try and enforce them.