HWBOT Community Forums

Interest-check: Group purchase Z270X LN2 board

Are you interested in getting an LN2 board?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in getting an LN2 board?

• Yes, if the board is
    • Yes, if the board is
    • Yes, if the board is
    • Yes, if the board is
    • Yes, at any price
    • Not interested

Hey guys,

Some of you have been asking about making the Z170X-SOC Force LN2 board retail. I'm not sure if it will actually go retail, but a possible way out would be to do a group-order ourselves.

Who'd be interested in buying one of the LN2 board? If there is sufficient demand, it should be possible for HWBOT to do the order and then ship to everyone else.

• Thanks 1

Looks like a great board, I've got the Z97 version and everytime I use it I improve and am starting to get some great mem timings/clocks. The sweetspot for me would be < $300 usd but might think about it at $350. This goes for either a Z170 or Z270 ? chipset if that's the way they chose to go. This price must include Sofos 1990 and Dinos22's signature on the board

Edit: while we're at it, let's try and get ASRock to make us an IOCF please

Edited by GtiJason

If my memory serves me right, designing a new motherboard costs around USD $100k-150k. This would include everything from VRM design, PCB and trace lay-out, bios, getting early samples to debug, etc. Of course also includes all the man-hours to work on this. An easy way to reduce the cost is to use one design for multiple SKUs and add/remove certain features.

It's quite a costly affair :)

If my memory serves me right, designing a new motherboard costs around USD $100k-150k. This would include everything from VRM design, PCB and trace lay-out, bios, getting early samples to debug, etc. Of course also includes all the man-hours to work on this. An easy way to reduce the cost is to use one design for multiple SKUs and add/remove certain features.

It's quite a costly affair :)

As far I remember Nick told me similar cost back in days when I asked him, 70k-100k USD so indeed it's not cheap.

Regarding the topic -as far as I remember, GB told me they are able to order small quantity of boards (like batch of 10 pieces) so in fact this group order might work out.

I would love one but the previous comments just made me realize how much I have already spent on z170 and pretty much have a board for every scenario. So far I bought 2 m8e's, impact, oc formula, mocf. And still have 1 m8e, impact and mocf.

I like the idea of a z270 ln2 board. I would love to pay some money now and have one right when z270 boards drop, that sounds amazing. A nice kaby lake with a brand new z270 ln2.

But if kaby lake runs nice on z170 and z170 ln2 is a great board then it might not even matter and could still be a decent long term investment thru kaby lake life.

Before skylake the last 2 boards I used were z97 soc force and x99 champion and they were both incredible, still have both, would be nice to bench on a giga board again.

I like the idea of a z270 ln2 board. I would love to pay some money now and have one right when z270 boards drop, that sounds amazing. A nice kaby lake with a brand new z270 ln2.

Agree with this, since Kaby Lake is near, a Z270 LN2 board seems nice to have if the price is right.

This price must include Sofos 1990 and Dinos22's signature on the board

THIS needs to happen :D ! I'll make do with sofos signature :P

Kaby is backwards compatible with Z170 and the Z270 PCH won't offer anything that would be of any benefit to overclockers, I think. I don't know if there will be a Z270 LN2 board either.

How do you guys feel about warranty services? Skip and reduce price?

I think make another poll for warranty no warranty, unless people can all agree on the same thing. Which is doubtful.

Personally, if skipping warranty brings it to that first option (<$150), I would personally just buy 2 & call it a day. 😀

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think make another poll for warranty no warranty, unless people can all agree on the same thing. Which is doubtful.

Personally, if skipping warranty brings it to that first option (<$150), I would personally just buy 2 & call it a day. 😀

Good point on the "warranty poll".

On the topic of "I get it if it's cheap", I'd like to make an additional note: with order quantities as low as 100-1000 units with shipments worldwide, I don't think it's good to expect a "really low price" for limited edition boards like the LN2 board.

Kaby is backwards compatible with Z170 and the Z270 PCH won't offer anything that would be of any benefit to overclockers, I think. I don't know if there will be a Z270 LN2 board either.

How do you guys feel about warranty services? Skip and reduce price?

Ya that's why I said it might not even matter but just didnt know for sure myself if z270 might benefit us. If that is the case then I would grab a z170 ln2.

I would be down for no warranty

On the topic of "I get it if it's cheap", I'd like to make an additional note: with order quantities as low as 100-1000 units with shipments worldwide, I don't think it's good to expect a "really low price" for limited edition boards like the LN2 board.

I figured it wouldn't be that cheap, but a man can dream. :D

Speaking of cheap though, as per my understanding, part of the reason regular SOC Force is so expensive is that because it has PLX chip & heatsink has inbuilt water cooling functionality.

We know water cooling won't be there for the ln2 version. Should we also get rid of the PLX chip (if its not gone already)? PLX chips are very expensive (so i've heard) & no bencher is running 4-way on Z170/Z270, so getting rid of it should help us bring the cost down even more. Max we need is 2-way for Legacies. No point in having more than 2 slots on the board.

Count me in. Would have to know rough estimate of cost savings with/without warranty to make decision on that. I mean if it saves $5 I would think everyone would want warranty, but if it saves $50 then maybe not.

Good Point.

Edited by rtsurfer