HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT Country Cup 2015 thread.

newlife

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's exactly the idea of penalty for not running all required core counts - divide by 5 and done.

yes, it's hard as it is to get people to compete in country cup, less making it more difficult and complicated.

Another thing, can you PLEASE stop it with different end dates for stages.

Like you I wish the end dates would be the same, very annoying.

I think its actually easier to get people to compete with it set up the way it is.

If its just an average then you will have teams that can just skip something like 1 core XTU because they have such high WR 8 core scores, if your WR 8 core is high enough maybe even skip a 2core XTU and still be competitive. Half the idea is to promote and gather your country mates and get it done. Those guys that don't have the 8 core hardware can actually contribute, and in fact, you need them, that fancy 8 core WR will get beat by a country that organizes 5 air scores across all the cores. How much motivation is there to find someone to get a 1 core score if you can just use a bigger 8 core?

I always assumed it was a competition to determine the best country of overclockers, not which country has a couple of WR benchers. If that is the competition that is wanted, believe me, take out the requirement that you can only submit once a stage, that would have helped us a ton....

Ranking for stage 4 is not correct it seems. Rules says ranking is based on average, but it is actually based on number of scores, then average. I know some competitions are meant to be this way but that is not logical for this stage. Average across five submissions, no score=0 points for that submission. It really hurts the teams which have no 1 core CPU...

But it's always been about getting hardware for every stage and sub Stage (1/2/4/6/8core cpu etc) in order to ensure the best score possible. As for teams not having a 1 core cpu.... I didn't have one either, I paid up the aud$80 for one, to never be used again. Others could have done the same, plenty were on ebay for the whole competition.

Edited by FatBoyNotSoSlim

If you do the math, then you will see you really need high-sky 8-cores WR. To compensate 80-100 points for the missing single core sub you will have to add that to your other scores.

If they are not high enough you will still loose. How high should be your 8-cores WR?

It should be a lot higher than what Aussies have at the moment assuming their other scores are mediocre. And if all 4 scores are equally high (in their respective category), then they can win either way. Ruling out the 1-core submission does not change much. It only gives chances to smaller countries that can't find anyone using single core cpu to bench for them.

You can't skip the 2xXTU, just no way to compensate 700 points more.

Well, if you don't submit with 6 or 4 cores, then you're not gonna win, because you have to compensate 2000-3000 points which is impossible.

I still think the competition will be balanced enough. You will still need full set of scores to secure your first position. It can't happen with just one WR and mediocre 3 other scores.

But of course, this is just my point of view.

• Crew
Yes, but if you favor number of submissions instead of average score, then your team could be dragged behind even if your average score is higher than the av score of a team with full set of submissions.

However it had always been like that in CountryCups, taking away even the slightest chance for smaller countries which can't get the full set of scores. Which is wrong to me.

Comon 5 scores should be doable for most countries, even a nitwit country as Belgium can do it. Too bad our Celeron CPU has still not arrived, this after ordering it about 3 weeks ago lol so we get beaten by lesser scores, but they have a full set. That's the way it is and the only way to keep it more balanced in my book.

Now Stage 1 will be impossible for us to complete as we can get max 6-7 scores in as our french speaking OCers have close to no interest in chiming in... :mad:

It is all about having fun, people tend to take it too serious... this is the cheapest CC so far for Belgium lol. We had most of the gear besides the Celeron CPU and only used 65L of LN2

But it's always been about getting hardware for every stage and sub Stage (1/2/4/6/8core cpu etc) in order to ensure the best score possible. As for teams not having a 1 core cpu.... I didn't have one either, I paid up the aud$80 for one, to never be used again. Others could have done the same, plenty were on ebay for the whole competition.

Dont think your the only one buying that useless CPU just for the competition, ohh how I wish the 1 core that we in Sweden bought actualy worked

Yes, but in our case we don't even have half the participants required.

Noone is interested and you can see the activity throughout the year.

Not only population, but also GDP plays a big role in this.

But that's the rules of the game and it is the same in every sport.

I'm not completely against the current way of doing it. Nothing is just black or white.

Yes, but in our case we don't even have half the participants required.

Noone is interested and you can see the activity throughout the year.

Not only population, but also GDP plays a big role in this.

But that's the rules of the game and it is the same in every sport.

I'm not completely against the current way of doing it. Nothing is just black or white.

We also had plans to compete in all stages, but it didn't work as expected. It's a pity, because this year it wasn't so difficult to participate.

Yes, buying boring, useless hardware that doesn't even add significantly to the team average is a good idea for a competition...

But if hwbot wants it this way, then thats fine. But state it in the rules! Is it the same case for stage 1? Nine 49.9p subs gets beaten by ten 0.1p subs? Come on...

Save us the money for hardware and ln2 next time and let us know about the rules in advance so we can know if there is a point in competing or not.

It doesn't work that way in the first stage, its simply an accumulation of points, only in Stage 2, 3, and 4 force you to gather subs in each of the categories. There are always going to be things that are unfair to one set of overclockers or another. Hell for that matter, this Country Cup was entirely to modern for me. I have no interest in competing against binned 6.4Ghz Skylake processors but those are the rules so all I could do was bear down and get the best done we can. Canada came in 22nd last year, all I was hoping that through organization and stupid amounts of harrassment to other Canadians overclockers we might crack top 10.

It doesn't work that way in the first stage, its simply an accumulation of points, only in Stage 2, 3, and 4 force you to gather subs in each of the categories. There are always going to be things that are unfair to one set of overclockers or another.

Yes, the first stage is why I actually thought that the other stages would be a true average based ranking as well. It also says so in the rules... Only people who have been here a long time can suspect that it is first number of submissions and then average.

This is the only major problem with hwbot in my opinion. The competitions are always unclear to say the least when it comes to rules. The rules are updated, changed, new rules are added. It is hard to find the new rules because they are buried somewhere deep down in a thread with 100 replies. Rankings are not working correctly in the beginning etc.

Just a quick message: Christian, Xyala and myself are all on the road at the moment so it might take a bit longer to respond to questions and moderation issues.

So maybe its better not to bench geekbench and IGP stage with B-DIE... just to be safe...

B-DIE based kits were listed from Nov 12th in Germany but were not available, no idea if availability was better in other countries before Nov 1st :)