HWBOT Community Forums

Buying binned HW

Splave

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't tell people stuff, you're taking all the fun out of it!

Also.... you're bursting bubbles. Buzz Killington.

If bencher X has really crappy luck in binning, or can only afford 1 of something (ie.... most of us) then buying binned is still coming out ahead.

As long as they like the price and it does what the seller says it can do, everyone wins. It's a perfect situation in life, those are rare. Don't spoil it! :D

Say I want to buy $700 6.5 cpu. I can buy a retail for that price and sell it for a $25-50 loss including shipping 20-25 times lol for $2100 you could do the same with 3 cpus at a time for a total around 75 different cpus tested.

This doesn't include the time to do it but if you love oc is it really time or work? ;)

Same goes for memory!

Best part is maybe you will find the actual best CPU out there on your own!

Won't work for me either.

It will be hard to sell high-end chips locally.

Same goes for memory. Noone will buy my high-spec DDR4, simply because not many enthusiasts here have high-end Intel systems and if they do, most of the time they prefer cheaper OEM sticks.

Just look at Bulgaria's active (extreme) overclockers...

More expensive or newer component -> harder to sell. Or I have to sell it with huge loss.

I've only done it once with SandyBridge.

First I started with 2600K, but all I got was 5.1-5.2 max. After some tries, I had to start binning 2500K's due to money lost after selling rejects.

Not much luck with them either - best was like 5.5.

I got tired and bought a binned 5.7GHz 2500K and that's the highest I've seen in my country.

It's not something great in the global picture with 6GHz chips existing.

With 3700K I had some luck finding a decent chip back then after second try.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

Say I want to buy $700 6.5 cpu. I can buy a retail for that price and sell it for a $25-50 loss including shipping 20-25 times lol for $2100 you could do the same with 3 cpus at a time for a total around 75 different cpus tested.

This doesn't include the time to do it but if you love oc is it really time or work? ;)

Same goes for memory!

Thing is, my reject might still be better than your "best out of 100". So much for the actual best CPU...

In fact, that's what you get with memory. You can go out and buy 10, 100, 1000, 10000, however many retail kits as you like, but chances are that whatever you're going to find is still going to be worse than the rejects you get/buy through the back door since memory manufacturers actually test each stick at the factory and can easily put the best ones aside.

As for CPUs, I imagine that Intel are simply too big (or have internal policies) to care about OC-grading of their high-end CPUs. So, in a way, CPU binning is a lot more fair (which is why I personally abandoned memory binning last year).

Edited by TaPaKaH

Same goes for memory!

This can work for CPUs, but it is almost impossible to do this with memory. Because its literally impossible to get rid of the rejects.

Gamers don't want to buy the high speed kits, unless you give it away for like half of the price. I can't speak for the world, but atleast in USA, until the majority of people stop buying cheapest 2133mhz DDR4, mem binning is gonna be a 50â„… loss game.

CPUs are easier to sell off (at a loss of course) , but then there's that stigma against delidded chips, which is again, a USA centered problem as far as I have seen. Even after you do all that, your "best CPU" still might suck compared to others.

Basically, i might be repeating what others said.

A lot of these CPU binners you see around here, are able to sustain their "business" with profits because they never pay retail for those chips in the first place. So even the rejects are sold at a profit. If you can find a way to do that, go to town. [emoji6]

Let's not throw around words like "fair" tho.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by rtsurfer

Same goes for memory!

You forgot to factor in cost of LN2. Also to a much lesser extent thermal paste, but grizzly isn't cheap.

So if I bin cpus I have customers! Good to know lol

Seems so, yea.

I'm seeing similarities with free-to-play games. Some players enjoy grinding the game and putting in lots of hours to collect all the goals/achievements/skins. Others don't have the time to grind away and prefer to just spend their hard-earned money.

I guess the binning is nice for those who want to have a reasonably competitive chip without spending time to bin yourself. In that respect, more binning sources should be better for prices :)

Seems so, yea.

I'm seeing similarities with free-to-play games. Some players enjoy grinding the game and putting in lots of hours to collect all the goals/achievements/skins. Others don't have the time to grind away and prefer to just spend their hard-earned money.

I guess the binning is nice for those who want to have a reasonably competitive chip without spending time to bin yourself. In that respect, more binning sources should be better for prices :)

Great analogy I agree 100%

Guest Bullant
Seems so, yea.

My thought too,more binners better prices,guess you need to way it all up but should help the buyers I would think

Edited by Bullant

That would be good,but again no one would sell great chips at bargain prices. Depends on what you want tough,best of 10 chips will go for 100E extra,but best of 50 or 100 no way.

The cheapest chip sells first :D There would still be a (deserved!) premium, but either sellers compete on price, or agree between themselves to keep prices at point X +- a few %.

Like others have pointed out, it depends much on return policies and if that is not good in your country it depends on second hand market. In Sweden you can try your product and then return it to get a full refund, except for return shipping. But if you do it too much you will get banned from the stores. But second hand market is bad in Sweden. Easily a 100€ loss on a single 6700K that has just been tested on air, with full warranty still left.

A few tricks I have learned is that some products don't have a seal, or at least a proper one ;) Then you have no problems with returns. But sadly CPUs have a good seal... and trays aren't available in Sweden at all.

When the binning reaches Caseking levels, it is very hard to compete privately. Talking probability, it is quite easy to find the best out of 50 or 100 chips when binning yourself. That will get you a 6.4-6.5 GHz CB R15 chip. But when Caseking can find a few best of 1000 chips that do 6.55-6.6 GHz private binning is not enough. If you aim to actually beat the Caseking cpus you have to find a 1 in 5000 cpu or so, and you can't bin thousands of cpus on your own... When Kaby lake comes out I will hope to get a really good Caseking CPU, but of course I will bin as many as I can myself also and hope for luck :)

I buy and sell HW partialy for living here, in Czech Republic. Second hand but also even new, sealed full warranty pieces are no joke. I'm having few of them every month and I've to go at least -20% under usualls shops to sell it.

Worse thing is, that every kid tries the "I can have the VAT back via my uncle" bs. On the other hand, our laws permits to return every goods without a reason, even used in 14 days, one shop provides this service as extended to 30 days or even 2 months (for a price) if you pay premium account. They can cut the return amount by kinda much, but they never did it to me.

I just bought 3x6100, returned 2 two days after, but I'm not honestly sure how long and in what ratio can this be done no matter what law says.

I don't see what you're getting at? Are you cut that someone sold you their 4th best cpu? If you had 20 decent, fragile chips, would you sell 19 of them?

Hell, I was excited when I saw my rma chip did 6.2.

You told me newegg will take back your rejects, full refund, no questions asked! Any store in Au would charge me 15% restock and only if unopened, second hand I'd loose 20-30%

Edited by zeropluszero

Cause I won't do that without a profit. I want fun + get back all the $ I invested in XOC during the years ^^

:eek:

queue the Mission Impossible theme song. :P

exactly,lol.

Good luck with that one! :nana:

I bought a "binned" 4133 b-die kit.

Turns out the 3600 kit i already had is a good notch better.

Now to sell off and lose money... :woot:

Edited by Schmuckley

I don't see what you're getting at? Are you cut that someone sold you their 4th best cpu? If you had 20 decent, fragile chips, would you sell 19 of them?

Hell, I was excited when I saw my rma chip did 6.2.

You told me newegg will take back your rejects, full refund, no questions asked! Any store in Au would charge me 15% restock and only if unopened, second hand I'd loose 20-30%

Newegg doesn't take CPUs back. No matter who you are.

Same goes for memory!

Some of us here are students and have never had that kind of money in their bank account for years :(

• Administrators

I will sell my last (and best) 6700k and also my best binned B-die 3600s these days, I think it depends on what you expect as buyer and why seller makes the sale. On binned stuff you do not always get best ever stuff at current gen, but often people sell because they do not use items for benching anymore or want money or whatever. I resumed memory binning a while ago after I sold my best kits before also to test new board (MOCF) only to find I do not make decent use of them anyway, so why keep 1,83v 4K 12-11 waza mems when all I do is test software at 3200 c15?^^

Guest barbonenet

But Allen u did the same with Roman, didnt u? i remember the post on FB when u said thanks to him for the special CPU from Caseking........so, what's wrong if the other do the same????

i understand what u mean, if u buy Binned stuff from someone, and if this someone is a bencher, u will never get the best but only something looser then what they've kept for their self.....but on the market there are alot of bad chips.......if u are in america u can send them back to neweggs or anyelse, but in australia for example u can't, and u need to sell them on ebay or forum by loosing money!