HWBOT Community Forums

3D Benchmark proposal list for 2021

Leeghoofd

No globals for vantage? Not a favorite of mine but seems people love it. Also it brings one more use for amd platform. If you remove globals for FSX and FSU then you need amd only for one benchmark (normal FS). Yes, it may be just for now, but it kind of sucks that you need to get an expensive platform to be competivie for just one 3d benchmark. The cpu test in vantage is kind of interesting also, and I think it might continue to be so in the future also.

3d11 is a good benchmark. Good to keep globals for it. 

Fire strikes, not sure. Fire Strike is kind of buggy. Extreme and ultra are less buggy and have less fps so they are better 3d benchmarks. Maybe choose X or U instead of normal. Or two, or all three... 

3D01, sad to say this but I don't see activity here. I may just share my tweak if we can get people benching it again. Then you don't need xp so it will be easier for future also. Otherwise we need some legacy 3D. 05 or/and 03 maybe? 

GPUPI, yes 1B is too short. But 32B is a little long for that high constant load. Will waste ln2 like nothing else. May blow vrms etc also... 

Catzilla is long time eol. Can't even install it without a certain method. Requires paid version also and not sure if you even can buy it. 

Superposition, don't need both in my opinion. Not so much of a diff between 1080p extreme and 8k opti. 

Time Spy i think is the best 3d,so yes keep it. Extreme is so much a cpu benchmark with ultra expensive cpus so good not to add it. 

Port Royal, yes ofc. 

VRmark, does anyone bench it? 

3DM01 globals, ok  although it's overclocker tweakz benchmark (not HW bench) counts. But Dang its for me way to sad to see Vantage and 03 to loose globals! They are the most fun out of them all.

Catzilla: from what i remember the bench always caused a lot of problems beginning with installation and activation (workarounds work, but its annoying to deal with).

• Crew
2 hours ago, Rauf said:

No globals for vantage? Not a favorite of mine but seems people love it. Also it brings one more use for amd platform. If you remove globals for FSX and FSU then you need amd only for one benchmark (normal FS). Yes, it may be just for now, but it kind of sucks that you need to get an expensive platform to be competivie for just one 3d benchmark. The cpu test in vantage is kind of interesting also, and I think it might continue to be so in the future also.

We have Vantage CPU, 3D11 and Time Spy Extreme Physics for CPU in 2D Beta benchmark list. 

Fire strikes, not sure. Fire Strike is kind of buggy. Extreme and ultra are less buggy and have less fps so they are better 3d benchmarks. Maybe choose X or U instead of normal. Or two, or all three... 

Wanted to keep a few which are not solely GPU limited, so users with less powerfull hardware can still gather some Global points

3D01, sad to say this but I don't see activity here. I may just share my tweak if we can get people benching it again. Then you don't need xp so it will be easier for future also. Otherwise we need some legacy 3D. 05 or/and 03 maybe? 

Done for the users with older hardware, it is and remains the ultimate tweak benchmark, 03/05/06 pure cpu speed, don't see the point for globals there anymore

Catzilla is long time eol. Can't even install it without a certain method. Requires paid version also and not sure if you even can buy it. 

Many requested it on discord, we can see what 4K brings. Will look into the install issues with v2.0.1 (dates from september 2020)

Superposition, don't need both in my opinion. Not so much of a diff between 1080p extreme and 8k opti. 

K will go for 1080P only

VRmark, does anyone bench it? 

Maybe not now, but it was the other 2 that got globals now, so I reduced it to the heaviest Cyan one

1 minute ago, Leeghoofd said:

05/06 are now CPU/memory benchmarks and run fine on 8/10...01 requires more tweaking and is more interesting for older hardware users on XP 

Vantage has globals again

01 for hw points for sure. But globals don't really make sense in the state it is now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

hello boys do not do stupid things please. need global for vantage and 03 and 06 all is really good bench. no need Fs ultra and extreme for global. .global need only for normal fs i ts anr pr.  PLEASE REMOVE GLOBAL ONLY FOR 05 FS ULTRA EXTREME THANKS FOR UNDERSTANDING LAST OVERCLOKERS. HERE DO NOT DO STUPID THINGS

I'd give Vantage Extreme HWP. It's our typical babe chick Jane Nash with higher res and details, higher GPU load, a bit less CPU bound. People could learn tweaking that too (different tweaks than normal preset apply for it).

Would keep regular Vantage, 03 too. 05's been 2D for years, same as AM3.

And please, please organize them properly instead of this random mess that is there now.

• Haha 1

I like the proposed changes. 3d11 and Vantage keeping globals is good, but like others said 01 seems a little odd but maybe that’s because I’ve never really benched it lol. Time to learn something new. I would like 03 to still have globals as it does scale with cpu and gpu, but is still gpu bound for older cards. But I’m just biased on that one I think.

Superposition getting points seems like a long time coming as well so good. 

Also, it says “Heaven Benchmark” is being removed but above it Unigine Heaven is still listed for HW points. Are these not the same?

One thing to consider is that sli and crossfire support is all but dead. As far as I know amd does not support it at all since rx5000. And nvidia has dropped support but it still works for a few newer benchmarks, however only in 2 card config.

That means we have one category of globals per benchmark (1xgpu). For a few combinations of benchmarks and vgas we have two categories (1x and 2x gpu). For 2d benchmarks we have 8 categories per benchmark (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 cores). And that's just counting the most commonly used. The variety and total amount of available globals are way, way more for 2d. If these is a desire to "compensate" this, maybe there should be more 3d benchmarks that give globals compared to 2d?

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Rauf said:

One thing to consider is that sli and crossfire support is all but dead. As far as I know amd does not support it at all since rx5000. And nvidia has dropped support but it still works for a few newer benchmarks, however only in 2 card config.

That means we have one category of globals per benchmark (1xgpu). For a few combinations of benchmarks and vgas we have two categories (1x and 2x gpu). For 2d benchmarks we have 8 categories per benchmark (4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 cores). And that's just counting the most commonly used. The variety and total amount of available globals are way, way more for 2d. If these is a desire to "compensate" this, maybe there should be more 3d benchmarks that give globals compared to 2d?

Sounds right, 3d sucks, frankly I think 2d should have MORE globals ;)

• Like 1

01 getting globals while being "oldschool" is a bit meh imo since it will still scale with newer cpus running at higher freq. Wanna compensate hw (aka oldschool) guys for running it? Increase the hw point cap on 01.
For globals, would like 03/05 instead (mostly 03 as it still kinda scales with gpu/clocks + more tuning vs 05) and maybe revisit it in the future if needed (?).

Rest of them I think make sense except the stupid cat. Benchmark with probably 0 support from its author. Had issues for which I dont think I ever heard from them + we saw more buggy runs vs any other 3DMark (while 100x times less popular). Also cant comment on VRMark.

Suggestion -> kill the cat and add FSU or TSX instead. TSX with the more demanding physics will be probably more futureproof (as an overall benchmark) than anything else from the list.

2 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

Sounds right, 3d sucks, frankly I think 2d should have MORE globals ;)

3D sucks for being more demanding than most if not all 2D benchmarks? :D 

Also what Tobias said re multi-GPU support vs all the sub-categories on the 2D side

Edited by FireKillerGR
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, FireKillerGR said:

3D sucks for being more demanding than most if not all 2D benchmarks? :D 

Was mostly tongue in cheek, personally I hate doing 3d cause I'm bad at effi, but I think for those that can enjoy it that's awesome. 

As for legacy benches, I think no matter what 3dm03 should not have globals, it's extra buggy and I have my own reasons for hating it as far as pts are concerned. Those that know know, those that don't, well I cant elaborate lol

• Like 1

• Crew

yeah but I have to think in a broader range here. If you can only get globals with an RTX card it will exclude tons of users... I have to think about everybody and not only about Stavros & Mike in their own personal hardware heaven... Hence why globals for something stupid maybe in your eyes as SILLY 01 is still a necessity.

Looking into Tobias idea to have a few more globals for 3D as SLI /crossfire is fading out

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Please keep '03 or '05, removing them both is too much! We had Aqua/01/03/05/06 all with globals only a few years ago, to cut down that list to just 1 bench is much too savage IMO. Vantage is pretty much a CPU bench now with too much weight on the CPU test - if you need to cull the herd, do it there.

HWPts for 3DM99, is that a typo? Strange to reintroduce a 21-year-old bench like that.

Edited by unityofsaints