HWBOT Community Forums

The first CPU lost we never forget :)

Casanova

• 3 months later...

This happened just now. I was DOA Testing some s462 boards. After 6 boards not booting I put one I knew that was working on the bench and tried the CPUs. Turns out all 5 CPUs I tested on the previous boards are dead. After further investigation, it's one of the MSI that is responsible. It killed 6 CPUs.

Hammer time!

Edited by Christian Ney

The first CPU I lost was a 6700K that I killed by delidding, am yet to fully kill a CPU during an LN2 session, really lucky in that regard, or maybe I just don't push hard enough........

I'd say if you treat hardware correctly, killing it is quite difficult even under extreme conditions. The only times I've killed CPUs was when either a) I was too aggressive increasing the voltages or b) I continued benching even though I knew there were condensation issues.

In both scenarios it would have been smarter to warm up, leave the setup to rest and get back to it the next day.

I'd say if you treat hardware correctly, killing it is quite difficult even under extreme conditions. The only times I've killed CPUs was when either a) I was too aggressive increasing the voltages or b) I continued benching even though I knew there were condensation issues.

In both scenarios it would have been smarter to warm up, leave the setup to rest and get back to it the next day.

Why the hell did I ever post anything, just killed a damn CPU on phase.....

Sods law..

Hopefully this is why I've never killed a CPU or at least a good excuse for not pushing enough :P

Why the hell did I ever post anything, just killed a damn CPU on phase.....

Sods law..

Forgot to knock on wood!

b) I continued benching even though I knew there were condensation issues.

I can check this one off the list, lost boards and chips doing it.

as well as "use asrock z170 oc formula board"

chip killer board right there.

I wonder if the first one killed during benching might have been my golden E8700. I'm trying very hard to remember... but only motherboards used to die frequently. I did however kill a good Opteron 185 because I had static on my fingers. 4 red LEDs, and from that day I don't touch CPus without touching a PSU or something first :P

First PSU death would be an interesting thread... had a couple die with a bang lately, though not OC related. You REALLY remember that stuff :P

FX 8150 on ln2 8/8t 1.95v f10 enter.bye. it was a nice chip 7ghz+ valid with all cores.

Damn, that sucks as I've put 2v+ through a number of piledriver CPU's without issue and even 2.2v on a a6-6420k which made the difference between highest clocked 2 core vs not

I'm guessing maybe your board couldn't take it with 8c